Sex Test of Foetus is Illegal
The Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC & PNDT) Act 1994 is being implemented in the country which prohibits sex selection and regulates pre-natal diagnostic techniques to prevent their misuse of sex determination leading to female feticide. The Act prohibits the following:
- Conducting of pre-natal diagnostic techniques in unit/clinics not registered under the Act. The registration is renewable after every five years.
- Determination of sex of the fetus and its communication to the concerned pregnant woman or her relatives or any other person.
- Conduction of any test on woman or man or both on any tissue, embrya, conceptus, fluid or gametes from either or both of them foe the purpose of ensuring the probability that the embryo will be of a particular sex.
- Sale of ultrasound machines or any other equipment capable of detecting the sex of the foetus to units/clinics not registered under the Act.
- Advertisements for the sex determination tests in any form such as notice, circular, label, wrapper, or any other document including advertisements through the internet or any visible representation made by means of any hoardings, wall painting, signal, light sounds, smoke or gas.
Any person, clinics, hospital, company, firm, or association of individuals who
Violate the above provisions is punishable with imprisonment up to 5 years and fine up to Rs. One Lakh.
This will also lead to suspension of registration of the doctor by the medical council if the charges are framed by the court and till the case is disposed off and on conviction for removal of name from the register of the council foe a period of five years for the first offence and permanently for the subsequent offence.
|Worst Districts||Best Districts|
|Fatehgarh Sahib, Punjab||755||South Sikkim||1036|
|Patiala, Punjab||770||Upper Siang, Arunachal||1018|
|Kurukshetra, Haryana||770||Pulwama, Jammu & Kashmir||1017|
|Gurdaspur, Punjab||775||Bastar, Chhattisgarh||1014|
|Kapurthala, Punjab||775||Dantewada, Chhatisgarh||1014|
|Bathinda, Punjab||779||East Kameng, Arunachal||1011|
|Mansa, Punjab||779||Kupwara, Jammu & Kashmir||1010|
|Amritsar, Punjab||783||Senapati, Manipur||1007|
|Sonepat, Haryana||783||Mokukchung, Nagaland||1004|
|Ambala, Haryana||784||Badgam, Jammu & Kashmir||1003|