The major duties and responsibilities of the General Public as per the Chandigarh Registration of Pet Dogs Bye Laws 2010 are as under:
- The registration of any pet dog attaining the age of four months, kept within the jurisdiction of Municipal Corporation Chandigarh is compulsory. A family may keep up to a maximum of two dogs.
- Every owner of the pet dog has to keep the dog protected by getting it vaccinated against rabies from a Government Veterinary Practitioner or Veterinary Practitioner duly registered with Indian Veterinary Council (IVC) or State Veterinary Council (SVC).
- The owner of registered dog has to keep the dog chained/leashed while taking it outside. All ferocious dogs shall be duly muzzled and a stick shall be carried by the escort accompanying the dog while taking it out.
- The owner of registered dog has to ensure that the dog to wear a collar affixed with the metal token issued by the Registration Authority at all the times.
- The owner of the registered dog shall keep the dog under his/her control at all times so that it does not intimidate, annoy, hurt or bite to any person.
- The owner of registered dog to compensate the person if a dog bites or causes any other harm to any person or to the property of any person.
- The owner of the dog shall not take the dog to area of the Sukhna Lake, Rose Garden, Shanti Kung, Rock Garden, Leisure Valley, Mini Rose Garden, Fragrance Garden, Terrace Garden, Shivalik Garden and other public places/gardens as specified by the Commissioner, Municipal Corporation, Chandigarh, from time to time.
- The breeding of the dogs for commercial purposes and trading of dogs within the area of Municipal Corporation, Chandigarh is strictly prohibited.
- The owner of the dog shall not allow the dog to defecate in public places, such as residential areas, green belts, parks, streets, roads, road berms and other common Places etc. In case the dog defecates at the above specified places, the owner shall arrange to get the excreta of the dog removed from the said place at his own level.
- An owner of a dog who violates the Chandigarh Registration of Pet Dogs Bye-Laws 2010 will be penalized as per law by the Municipal Corporation, Chandigarh.
Municipal Corporation, Chandigarh